Premier Holiday Let
Visit our beautiful home.
Brook House convalescent home was built for the Derby Infirmary with funds provided by George Herbert Strutt. It actually replaced an earlier home, although the original plan was to extend this building.
The home was designed to house 32 patients and was officially opened on the 13th November 1899. The house still sleeps up to 34!
A little altered, purpose-built convalescent home of 1899, built to commemorate the wife of its patron, Mr Herbert Strutt.
The Strutt family developed the pioneering mill communities of Belper and Milford, and were noted for the ongoing and often innovative provision made for the housing, the physical and spiritual health and the education of the workforce and their families.
Strenuous efforts have been made to preserve the heritage and character of this working house. Residential care home, formerly convalescent home, minor C20 alterations.
By Hunter and Woodhouse, architects, for George Herbert Strutt to commemorate his wife, Dame Adela Strutt.
Regularly-coursed squared gritstone, with ashlar gritstone dressings, and imitation half-timbered detailing. Tall side-wall and off-ridge chimneys and a Welsh slate roof covering.
PLAN: T-shaped plan with attached ancillary buildings to the rear.
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical 2 storey front elevation of 9 bays with central entrance porch and tower and advanced end crosswings.
Main doorway with half-glazed door with flanking lights and multi-pane overlight, below moulded segmental arch with hood mould.
Shallow parapet with central gablet carries the inscription
‘DERBYSHIRE ROYAL INFIRMARY 1899’ and, within gablet, a carved panel with inscription ‘CONVALESCENT HOME ‘
Set back from the entrance porch , a transomed 2-light mullion window below a gablet with flanking miniature pilasters which enclose a carved panel with the inscription’
IN MEMORIAM EDITH ADELA STRUTT
‘Above this, a roughcast clock tower with clerestorey lights houing s Smiths Mechanical clock below a shallow pyramidal roof with tall metal weathervane.
Flanking the tower are 3 bay ranges with sash windows arranged 1:2:1 and advanced end gables with 4-light transomed mullion windows to the ground floor, 3 light windows to the first floor within roughcast walling , and gables with mock half-timbering and bargeboards.
Linking the entrance and the crosswings are arcades with shallow lean-to roofs supported by moulded columns.
Rear elevation with multiple contemporary ancillary wings, mostly single storeyed, and some with glazed lanterns, which housed the service facilities for the convalescent home, including a laundry.
Retains MANY features of interest including mosaic floors laid by craftsmen from Italy.